- Date Published: July, 17, 2020
- Contact Name: Lynn Gilley, HR Director
- Email: email@example.com
The Senior Accountant position is responsible for direct support in the execution of our fiscal objectives, for the reporting integrity of taxes, financial records and reports within various accounting applications and for compliance with established policies and requirements of general accepted accounting principles (GAAP), Cooperative Accounting Policies and Procedures and various regulatory agencies (RUS, IRS, New Mexico Department of Taxation and Revenue).
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
(Note: The following duties and accountabilities may be performed by the Senior Accountant in an individual contributor capacity.
- • Analyzes complex financial data, extracts, and defines relevant information
- • Exercises accounting control over a group of accounts within an assigned area
- • Records, classifies, and summarizes labor and plant-related financial transactions and events in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- • Ensures compliance with GAAP, Rural Development Utilities Programs (RDUP), IRS, and FERC requirements
- • Initiates and processes journal entries into various accounts
- • Reconciles sub-ledgers to the general ledger and resolves differences
- • Prepares internal and external financial reports, explains accounting transactions, and resolves accounting issues and discrepancies
- • Ensures compliance with the RUS Uniform System of Accounts, company policy, and internal controls related to the cost accounting process
- • Reviews proposed projects, assigns project identification numbers based upon project type, and maintains all related activity in project costing applications
- • Maintains all detailed fixed asset records including, but not limited to, additions, depreciation, retirements, transfers, and adjustments
- • Analyzes prepares, and processes accounting entries for all asset transactions, including depreciation
- • Prepares the annual property tax return and validates county tax assessments
- • Prepares all internal and external reports related to fixed assets and projects
- • Provides analysis, supporting schedules, or documentation as needed for the annual independent audit and regulatory compliance audits
- • Cross-trains in other areas within the department
- • May conduct internal audit projects to ensure compliance with management policies and procedures; as required
- • Serves as manager or coordinator of special projects and assignments; may assume broader managerial duties during temporary absences of the Chief Financial Officer.
- • Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervised by: Chief Financial Officer.
Key Competencies, Skills and Abilities:
- • Ability to demonstrate practical knowledge of GAAP
- • Strong written and oral communication skills
- • Strong Excel, Microsoft Office skills
- • Discretion in handling and managing sensitive accounting data
- • Collaboration with complex technical resources and functions is essential
- • Interpersonal skills to maintain effective work relationships and obtain desired results
- • Ability recommend and contribute to the development of work programs, budgets, workflow, and improved methods
- • A commitment to a continuous program of self-development
- • Interest and willingness to accept increasing responsibilities
- • Technical/professional knowledge and skill within area of concentration
- • Contributing to team success
- • Decision-making
- • Customer orientation
- • Initiating action
- • Exceptional standards of work and personal ethics.
- • One to three years’ accounting experience
- • Advanced accounting degree or CPA designation.
- • Experience with RUS accounting practices or equivalent accounting exposure and experience.
- • Demonstrated knowledge of FERC and RUS accounting rules
How success in the position will be determined:
- • Accuracy of assigned task completion
- • Timeliness of assigned task completion
- • Contribution to internal process improvement
- • Adherence to internal controls
- • Increase in company/industry knowledge.
Other Positions Available
- Position Available Schedule Date Posted
- Senior Accountant July 17, 2020
- Kit Carson Internet Customer Service Representative 1 August 3, 2020
- Kit Carson Electric Cooperative General Application April 12, 2019